in ,

Match Report: Rosenborg 2-1 Dundalk

Dundalk were beaten 2-1 after extra time by Rosenborg to dash their dreams of taking on Celtic in the next round of Champions League qualifiers.

The Lilywhites travelled to Trondheim knowing they needed an away goal, and Stephen Kenny’s side made the breakthrough after just 12 minutes in the Norway sunshine.

Brian Gartland rose highest from Michael Duffy’s excellent corner to divert his bouncing header past the Rosenborg ‘keeper into the corner.

David McMillan should have extended Dundalk’s lead a few minutes later, but his header was well saved by Andre Hansen.

Patrick McEleney looked typically assured and creative in possession, and Niclas Vemellund in particular was immense at the back for the Lilywhites.

However, the Irish champions were wasteful in the final third at times, and guilty of over playing.

The game took on a similar pattern to last week’s clash in Louth, and Rosenborg drew level on the stroke of half time, just as they did in Oriel Park.

Jensen threaded a beautiful through ball to Yann-Erik de Lanlay – who’d gotten goal side of Gannon – and the winger slotted the ball past Gary Rodgers to the delight of the home supporters.

Rodgers, who might have done better for the goal, made a sharp save to deny Jevtovic just before the break.

For the second week running, Dundalk went in to the interval at 1-1 having conceded a sloppy goal before the half time whistle.

Rosenborg dominated proceedings after the restart, but one cross-shot from Bendtner which flashed across the goal was the closest they came until the 68th minute, when Rosenborg centre-half Reginiussen should have scored a free volley from a deep free kick.

However, last week’s goal scorer failed to generate any power on his volley, and Rodgers saved comfortably.

Robbie Benson stung the palms of Hansen in the 83rd minute from a free-kick following a foul on Patrick McEleney on the edge of the Rosenborg box.

McEleney picked up an injury in the tackle and was replaced by Jamie McGrath, and skipper Stephen O’Donnell also came on for Michael Duffy in the second period.

Rodgers was forced to make on more fine save before the full time whistle sounded, and Kenny sent on Ciaran Kilduff for last week’s goal scorer David McMillan three minutes into extra time.

The home side had the first chance in extra time, as centre back Joergen Skjelvik’s low drive flew narrowly wide of Rodgers’ post.

After 97 minutes, Matthias Vilhjalmsson put the hosts ahead, the substitute climbing above Gartland to loop his header into the top corner from a good cross.
Ciaran Kilduff had a glorious chance to score for Dundalk in the 105th minute, but his half volley from 12 yards was tipped onto the cross bar by Hansen, after a great knockdown by Gartland into the striker’s path.

Vemellund made a superb challenge in his own box to deny Rosenborg a third in the second half of extra time, but Kilduff’s header was straight at Hansen from a corner a few minutes later.

Dundalk piled on the pressure after going behind, but couldn’t make the breakthrough, a snap-shot from McGrath from 20 yards the closest the Lilywhites came to scoring a goal which would have seen them progress to face Celtic.
Despite falling just short, Dundalk deserve great credit for their performances over both legs, but their European adventure in 2017 has come to an end.
This article originally appeared on The Season Ticket.

Written by david_smith

YBIG SHOP 300*250

Kenny hoping for “one of the great performances in Irish football history”

Glenn Whelan joins Aston Villa