in ,

WATCH: All the goals from the FAI Cup final

Dundalk have beaten Cork City 2-1 in the FAI Cup final.

Patrick McEleney’s 73rd minute header secured the trophy after goals from Sean Hoare and Kieran Sadlier in the first half.

The win sees Dundalk win the title for the first time since 2015, and prevents Cork from winning the trophy for the third successive year.

The league champions made a bright start at the Aviva, with John Moutney going close early on with a header.

There were warning signs for Cork, and it was the Lilywhites who opened the scoring in the 19th minute.

Sean Hoare rose highest from Michael Duffy’s corner, and powered a superb header into the back of the net to give Stephen Kenny’s men the lead.

However, the Dundalk defender went from hero to villain within 90 seconds.

Hoare clumsily fouled Karl Sheppard in the box, and Kieran Sadlier duly slotted the resulting penalty under Gary Rogers.

Dundalk almost regained the lead instantly, but Brian Gartland’s strong header was cleared off the line brilliantly by Shane Griffin.

Buckley drew a good save from Rogers in the 35th minute, but the sides entered the break level.

The Leesiders made the brighter start to the second half, and Sheppard headed wide when in a good position in the 51st minute.

Dundalk made the first substitution, with Kenny introduced Jamie McGrath for Mountenay in the 56th minute.

The Louth club almost took the lead two minutes later when Robbie Benson went close with a header from another Duffy cross, but Cork managed to clear the danger after McNulty denied the Dundalk midfielder.

Dane Massey fired over from distance a few minutes later, and Pat Hoban forced a save from McNulty at his near post after pouncing on an error by Bennett.

McEleney scored what proved to be the winner in the 73rd minute.

The midfielder met Sean Gannon’s exquisite cross with his head, and McNulty was unable to keep the header out.


Cork substitute Graham Cummins felt he should have had a penalty when he went to ground in the Dundalk box as John Caulfield’s men searched for an equalizer, but the referee wasn’t interested.

Kieran Sadlier’s deflected shot from distance was well saved by Rogers in stoppage time, and Dundalk held on to seal the cup for the first time in three years.

The champions have now won four league titles and two FAI Cups in just five years.

This article originally appeared on The Season Ticket, who you can follow on Twitter here.

Written by david_smith

YBIG SHOP 300*250

Weekend Roundup: Brady returns, Hendrick hits milestone

Paul McGrath an unstoppable Irish legend