Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia/Zilina Trip Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
More MODS needed urgently, pm BSM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:14am
Have to say that Zilina has changed the my opinion somewhat of Slovakia. We had a great trip, although with a couple of cock ups that can be laughed at now. We got a taxi from the bus station in Brat to the train station and the Driver quoted us 150 to Zilina. We missed the last evening train from Brat to Zilina and were faced with a 3 hour wait for the 22.57 train. We weighed it up and decided to take the Taxi driver up on his offer. He knocked another 10 off, so 70 each. Wasn't too bad considering we had the 3 hour wait and a 3 hour train journey.

That little Guinness bar was rocking when we got in, and a decent sing song was had. Not a patch on the ballad session in the next bar that GerK led us to. That was just a fantastic seisun, well done to all who sangs their hearts out at that. Like Aidom, I hate missing the Anthem and was a bit pissed off at not being able to get in on time, but I wont let it ruin what was a great trip. Thanks to all the usual heads and others I hadnt met before, for helping to make it a great trip. 
Sponsored Links

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Angry Nordy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:21am
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Have to say that Zilina has changed the my opinion somewhat of Slovakia. We had a great trip, although with a couple of cock ups that can be laughed at now. We got a taxi from the bus station in Brat to the train station and the Driver quoted us 150 to Zilina. We missed the last evening train from Brat to Zilina and were faced with a 3 hour wait for the 22.57 train. We weighed it up and decided to take the Taxi driver up on his offer. He knocked another 10 off, so 70 each. Wasn't too bad considering we had the 3 hour wait and a 3 hour train journey.

That little Guinness bar was rocking when we got in, and a decent sing song was had. Not a patch on the ballad session in the next bar that GerK led us to. That was just a fantastic seisun, well done to all who sangs their hearts out at that. Like Aidom, I hate missing the Anthem and was a bit pissed off at not being able to get in on time, but I wont let it ruin what was a great trip. Thanks to all the usual heads and others I hadnt met before, for helping to make it a great trip. 

Angry
Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:23am
Like Sham said Zilina changed my view of Slovakia. Had a really good time all in all (regardless of match cock ups). Brillian fun with the Walls, Throw in Delap, Baby Bro, my Leeds mate, The Kevin Doyle Look-a-like, Keith the Soldier, The Yank, Eire32 and his bro, and all the usual suspects as well. Fair play to Saint Tom's bus as well that was great fun, and the Sunday night in Krakow. In a heap still but well worth it.
First Commander-Galway Regatta
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's Silgo Hornet actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:30am
I too really liked Zilina and it's people........well the few we did see...... night before the game we were walking with the Waterford Boys through the centre of town, when I asked "for a City of over 80,000........where is everyone?"..........deisedevil replies...."Zilina is hosting the World Hide-and-Seek Championship"
"I thought that Claret Murph was a woman".....lassassinblanc Vienna 2013
Bo Derek View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:30am
[/QUOTE]

dunnoConfused we were wondering this ourselves - unless it was non alcoholic but defo didnt taste like it was..

i remember having non alcoholic beer in the amsterdam arena in 2000 and u could tell straight away that it was but the beer on tuesday was grand..
[/QUOTE]

Deffo alcohol in it anyway ...Just before half time I remember seeing 3 Shay Givens taking kick outs at the same time ....................................and we all know there's only one Shay GivenClap

Rock N Roll Kids all the way Gaz but I have to admit I remember those 3 bar girls looking a lot nicer than the pics....

"Excuse me girls can we get a picture with ye's?" ....

BarGirl: "Yes but NO TOUCHING"
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:30am
Funny trip, much better than bratislava, thank god i never had to go to bratislava again, crap hole. Retro bar was class craic in zilina. At least they served the beer quick there compared to guinness bar. Krakow for 2 nights was great, had trip to Auschwitz on the sunday, grim but interesting. Had an incident cutting my hand in a krakow pub, have a gay hand now EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Bus trip krakow-zilina good craic.Clap
Deise lads with the pizzas after the game Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
Best Western was heaven Heart
Really wished we had got the 3 points but don't we always make things difficult

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
AidoM View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

I too really liked Zilina and it's people........well the few we did see...... night before the game we were walking with the Waterford Boys through the centre of town, when I asked "for a City of over 80,000........where is everyone?"..........deisedevil replies...."Zilina is hosting the World Hide-and-Seek Championship"

Absolute classic LOL LOL
Look mama, Santeeeeeeeeeeee AKA fansliaisonofficer@gmail.com
AidoM View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:34am
Retro Bar with the Slovakian fans before the game was brilliant.

There were a lot of retro Ybiggers there

Look mama, Santeeeeeeeeeeee AKA fansliaisonofficer@gmail.com
Badhran Boy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badhran Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:53am
Absolute quality trip!! Cheap beer and quality birds on show. Have to say the bus down from Krakow to Zilian was hillarious...."Are you Eddie, Are you Eddie for Love" LOL
kent o'brockman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kent o'brockman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:19am
great trip,bratislava has gone up in my opinion,good night there monday night.fai train down to zilina was good laugh,fair play to the fai and delaney,but delaney waiting on the platform smacked of a P.R stunt.i got into ground no problem but other lads i was with didnt when there tickets didnt scan properly and they ended up missing the first 6 or 7 minutes.the crowd going in a small gate was a bit on the dodgy side i thought.all-in-all though a most enjoyable trip.
just because i dont care doesn't mean i don't understand.
greenarmy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:45am
Thought Bratislava was much better this time than last time. No heavy handed door staff and good night on the Monday. The train on Tuesday was class.

Edited by greenarmy - 14 Oct 2010 at 10:47am
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Henry Sellars. 
sack me?
The arrogant swagger of a champion
Conor Messi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Messi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:56am
Meself and all the lads I travelled with all had a savage session of a trip from start to finish. I honestly have never laughed as much in my life.

Met a good few from on here as well that I wouldn't of known before either and had a good laugh with anyone I fell in with (well from what I remember that is Embarrassed) including myself and Gerk singing every pogues and fureys song we could remember the words of in that 24hour place.
That was the good stuff and its what I'll remember the trip for.

As for the bad craic..
arriving at the ground about 40 minutes before KO and still missing the first 20 minutes of the match. 3 of us nearly got killed in a crush with a load of slovaks trying to get into the ground. It was fairly bad now, there was people holding kids up in the air and all.
Then finally got to the front where some big fat steward tore the stub off our tickets and fu cked us out the gate.
When we went around to the next gate a cop there told me i couldnt get in with a stubless ticket and when a sound steward explained our story he told me i was too drunk!
Anyway, eventually got past him and then there was another line of stewards stopping us from going up the steps into the stand for no apparent reason so thats where I was when St Ledger scored which was a bit sh1t.

Anyway thats enough whingeing cos overall it was another good trip! Thumbs%20Up
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:08am
Super trip.

Negatives:

Queing up for ages to get in to the stadium, going in to the tunstiles, having my ticket scanned, getting frisked and then getting fcuked out for no apparent reason. I was lucky they opened the side gate and took tickets without scanning them or i doubt my ticket would have scanned a second time. In saying that i still got in on plenty of time but i got a fright thinking i would miss the game even though i had a ticket.

Loosing my balance after our goal. Just remember my legs being where my head should of been and then ending on the ground people celebrating on me until a few savious helped me up. It was probably my own fault for standing on two seats rather than the ground to make room for people who were late coming in.

Positives:

Everything else, in particular the sing song in the guiness bar, the pub crawl songs after, the square and meeting a few new faces on here.

Edited by Jerryfromkerry - 14 Oct 2010 at 11:11am
icebhoy5 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icebhoy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
ah another mighty trip........
Feckin in bits tho. Some laugh..
Good to meet a few more off this site, sound people.
Best part of the trip was arrivin to ibis hotel and the manager tellin us we were over booked and were been moved to another hotel. We managed to blag a free mini bar out of him for the other hotel. Ate me own body weight in cashnew nuts while drinkin johnny walker and evian....silly manager!!
worst part was gettin a box from the steward for having a valid ticket..thick bollocks with black baseball cap or after havin a few scoops in basaras gettin bus on way home I tripped over me own shoe lace gettin off the bus. Broke 2 bones in me left hand and have to have op next tuesday. Toblerone numbs the pain of a 7 hour wait in casualty

Edited by icebhoy5 - 14 Oct 2010 at 11:14am
Spiderman me bollocks!
McG View Drop Down
Giovanni Trapattoni
Giovanni Trapattoni
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:14am
Icebhoy, a trip doesnt go by without something happening to you1

f**kin hell LOL
"It disappoints me that I didn't win the World Cup. People say 'but Roy, you played for Ireland, you were never going to win the World Cup'. I never saw it like that."

@MildThing84
SOSON View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:16am
I am happy that you all enjoyed trip to Slovakia.
Everywhere else is better in Slovakia than in Bratislava.
If you want to ,,taste'' a real Slovakia you need to go out of Bratislava.
people are much friendlier there.
C'mon you boys in white
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by icebhoy5 icebhoy5 wrote:

ah another mighty trip........
Feckin in bits tho. Some laugh..
Good to meet a few more off this site, sound people.
Best part of the trip was arrivin to ibis hotel and the manager tellin us we were over booked and were been moved to another hotel. We managed to blag a free mini bar out of him for the other hotel. Ate me own body weight in cashnew nuts while drinkin johnny walker and evian....silly manager!!
worst part was gettin a box from the steward for having a valid ticket..thick bollocks with black baseball cap or after havin a few scoops in basaras gettin bus on way home I tripped over me own shoe lace gettin off the bus. Broke 2 bones in me left hand and have to have op next tuesday. Toblerone numbs the pain of a 7 hour wait in casualty

i remember chatting to u in the square, how is your mate wayne rooneyShockedLOL
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic